Messages Disappearing from Deleted Items Folder

Discussion forum for Enterprise Edition.
randym

Messages Disappearing from Deleted Items Folder

Post by randym » Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:36 am

Hello all,

I have one mailbox that when the user deletes something, despite the fact that the "Move deleted messages to 'Deleted Items' folder" is checked, if they delete a message, it does not remain in the Deleted Items folder for very long.

In case you are curious, Clear deleted items on Log Out IS NOT CHECKED.

This is the only mailbox that this is happening with.

Anyone with thoughts or ideas, feel free to chime in here!

Thanks!

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Re: Messages Disappearing from Deleted Items Folder

Post by MailEnable-Ian » Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:29 pm

Hi,

Is the mailbox accessed via other email clients? Did you configure a mailbox cleanup agent for that mailbox? Login to the mailbox via web mail and then navigate to the "Statistics" page and check the audit log to see if messages are being deleted by other services such as IMAP etc.

You might want to ensure that auditing is enabled for the MailEnable server. Details on how to enable auditing can be found within the following article: https://www.mailenable.com/documentation/10.0/Enterprise/Localhost_-_Auditing.html
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

randym

Post by randym » Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:52 am

Yes, I do have a program called PopPeeper checking mail via an IMAP connection. I do not think that this is the issue because it checks several other email accounts on the same MailEnable server (across multiple domains) and there is no issue with any of the other accounts except this one. I am not sure about logging, as I have never had to use it before.

I will look further into it, but if you have any other thoughts, I am open to hearing them. Even if I delete a message via PopPeeper, it goes to the Deleted Items folder. This account in particular, messages do not seem to stay there for more than a few days. If I were to delete a message in any of the other accounts, messages go to Deleted Items and remain there indefinitely.

Thoughts or Ideas?

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable-Ian » Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:03 pm

Hi,

The first step is to inspect the auditing logs for that mailbox. Then inspect the IMAP activity and debug log files to see if messages are being marked as deleted by the client. Without inspecting log files and your configuration in more detail its difficult to determine the cause. Best way forward would be to lodge a support ticket and provide details and log files so that technician can troubleshoot further.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support